There exist a certain set of stigmas and myths around the use of female condoms, which stops women from using them as a method for contraception and safety. Female condoms, which are also known as internal condoms, have the same advantages as male condoms as they prevent unwanted pregnancy.
Male condoms are called external condoms. Both internal and external condoms help in preventing pregnancy by stopping the sperm to travel to the egg. Apart from that, they also protect against $exually transmitted infections (STIs), such as HIV/AIDS and viral hepatitis. After all the benefits that these female condoms or internal condoms have, they are not very prevalent.
Let’s look at how these internal condoms work and what we should keep in mind while using them.
How effective are female condoms?
Many women have doubts regarding the effectiveness of these condoms. Some even wonder if it will hurt their vagina and that’s one of the common reasons why women feel reluctant in using such products. If you wear it properly and follow all the necessary instructions of how to use female condoms, they are very effective in preventing unwanted pregnancy. It is known to be 95 percent effective if you use it correctly.
What are the pros and cons of using female condoms
Different people may have heard of different kinds of stigmas about their usage. Let’s take a deeper look at the advantages and disadvantages of female condoms.
Advantages of internal condoms
* You can purchase internal condoms from medical stores without any prescription.
* They are safe to use during pregnancy, childbirth and even during menstruation.
* When it comes to preventing unwanted pregnancy, internal condoms are very effective.
* They are also effective in preventing STIs.
* They are not made of latex, but a relatively softer material. Nitrile is used for their manufacturing which won’t cause your skin to get irritated or allergic.
* These condoms can be worn about 8 hours before $ex. Thus, you won’t need to rush when the time comes.
* You can use oil-based or water-based lubricants during $ex, and it won’t cause the condom to be less effective.
* Female condoms have a relatively longer shelf life. They can last up to 5 years without being damaged from sun or humidity.
* There are no serious health complications associated with female condoms. It is very safe to use.
Disadvantages of female condoms
* Female condoms are relatively more expensive than male condoms
* Wearing a female condom can cause you a slight discomfort and not all females like the feel of it.
* They are not as widely available as male condoms and can’t easily be found in your local pharmacies.
* It can prevent the contact of penis and vagina which can reduce the chance of clitoral stimulation which can make the $ex less pleasurable.
* Female condoms are only available in two sizes medium and large. However, in India only one size is available.
* It does not have spermicidical gel.
* Though female condoms can be washed and re used, it is always recommended to use a new one every time.
Also read: Male vs female condoms: We finally figured out which one is more effective
Important things to keep in mind about internal condoms
1. You should not use female condom and male condoms together as the friction caused by both can make the condoms to tear and can cause the $ex to be less pleasurable and more painful.
2. Do not tear the packet of condoms with any sharp object that can damage the material of it.
3. In the case of breaking, The female condom bunches up in vagina. Make sure to remove and replace it immediately.
4. Remove tampons or menstrual cups before you put the condoms on.
5. Even though it is not necessary, but it is always advised to remove condoms immediately after $ex which helps in avoid any kind of sperm spillage.
6. Female condoms do not eliminate the STI risk by 100 percent but they do provide you significant protection. Make sure you read all the instructions on the packet carefully and follow them.