Bad breath, also known as halitosis, is quite common. Foods such as garlic and onion are mostly blamed for bad breath. That’s because they don’t leave you with pleasant smelling breath! After eating them, you wish to have a mint flavoured gum or rinse your mouth. I did that too after a having raw onions with my favourite chicken dish. But my mom suggested a healthier and more natural way to get rid of bad breath. According to her, carrot is good to fight bad breath!
Over 50 percent of the general population have bad breath issue, as per a 2013 study published in the Journal of Natural Science, Biology and Medicine.
What causes bad breath?
Volatile sulphur compounds produced by bacteria that colonise the mouth is one of the common causes of bad breath, says general medicine and critical care medicine expert Dr Rupkatha Sen.
• Altered quantity and quality of salivation due to poor diet, metabolic diseases, alcohol and drug abuse and tobacco smoking
• Few systemic diseases or conditions like diabetic ketoacidosis can give rise to peculiar types of breath (acetone breath), specific to their condition
• Poor oral hygiene
• Tongue coat
• Food impaction
• Unclean dentures
• Faulty restorations
• Throat infections
• Periodontal disease
How does eating carrots help to fight bad breath?
Carrots look vibrant and are known for being good for eye health. It turns out, crunchy vegetables such as carrot also encourage saliva production, effectively neutralising bacterial by-products, says the expert. Its high fibre content aids in regulating bowel habits, contributing to the prevention of bad breath. Check out the benefits of carrots for your overall oral health!
1. Natural toothbrush
Carrots act as natural toothbrushes. As they are rich in fibre, they can help to break apart the plaque and tartar on your teeth.
2. Improve gum health
They are rich sources of various vitamins like A, K and biotin, which are important for strengthening bone enamel and improving gum health.
Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.
3. Make teeth strong
Carrots contain calcium and phosphorous that help to make teeth strong, says Dr Sen. Regular munching of carrots can also help to strengthen the jaw bone.
Tips to get rid of bad breath
Yogurt is another natural ingredient that can mask bad breath. It has probiotics that can overpower the foul-smelling bacteria, and help to reduce bad breath. Fruits such as berries, oranges and melons are rich in vitamin C, which is helpful in keeping bacteria in check.
Other tips include:
• Adhering to proper oral hygiene practices such as brushing twice daily.
• Flossing, as it decreases the likelihood of biofilm formation, ultimately preventing bad breath, says the expert.
• Maintaining adequate hydration to ensure the continual production of sufficient saliva, which helps to prevent dry mouth and the associated bad breath.
• The use of mouth rinses can effectively reduce the bacterial load in the mouth, masking bad breath.
You should also go for a thorough examination of external or systemic factors contributing to bad breath, followed by appropriate treatment. If a plaque buildup is the cause of bad breath, the doctor might tell you to go for a dental cleaning. In case of periodontal disease, a deep dental cleaning may be needed. Drinking plenty of water or just eating a carrot can also help if dry mouth is causing bad breath.