It is found in every gym corner and most of you spend a hell lot of time on it thinking that it is the ultimate belly shaper. Can you guess which gym equipment we are referring to? Bingo! Twister it is. Now think about the time you spend every week on this machine? We are asking because if you are overdoing the twister, you need to stop it right away.
Yes ladies, apparently your beloved twister, which you actually think is getting you those curves, may not be doing anything for your waistline. In fact, overdoing it can affect your oblique, lower back, and even your knees. That’s because 90 percent of the people do it absolutely WRONG.
According to celebrity fitness consultant and sports nutritionist Himanshu Kaushik from Equilibrium Pro Gym, Faridabad, training your oblique is a must but just staying devoted to twister is not going to help you get there. He says, “There is no denying that twister has its own benefits but if you are not doing it right or overdoing it, you can be in serious trouble.”
Here’s what overusing twister can lead to
• Overuse of the twist board may lead to a lower back injury. Repeated twisting may create back strains or sprains.
• Twisting at the knees may lead to a strain or during a meniscus tear. Remember your hips also rotate in the middle.
• If you’ve got a situation that causes dizziness, the twist board might not be right for you.
Having said that, some twister moves are not bad. Use these tips to ace them
• Experiment with foot placement: The way you stand can affect your ability to balance.
• Experiment with arm placement: This could also facilitate your balance more effectively.
• Start rocking slowly from side to side: This can help to acclimatize you to the board. Keep your knees slightly bent to avoid injury. This could facilitate your body’s response to the movement of the board.
• Tighten your core muscles to stay engaged: This can help provide stability and balance.
Ditch twister and do these exercises to get a flatter belly and a stronger core
- Twisting crunch cum sit-up: This one is a mix of sit-up crunch and a twist. Basically, take a full sit-up and while going back, hold halfway and take a twist.
- Seated rotation: Sit on the floor and bend your back at 45 degrees. Lift your legs and maintain the stance. Put your hands behind the neck and rotate from left to right.
- Russian twists: Go in a basic forearm plank. Lift your hips up a little and twist them from left to right.
- Criss cross/Bicycle crunches: Lie down on a mat, put your hand below your neck, and now move your legs alternatively as if you are riding a bicycle. Try to touch your elbow with the knee for better results.
- Standing Bar twist: Take a rod, place it behind your neck, wrap your arms and hold it properly. Keep your legs shoulder-width apart, and bend side to side.
“There is no doubt that getting rid of belly fat is tedious and requires strict dedication. Adding these twisting exercises to your workout routine can help speed up the process. On the other hand, you have a twister, which is nothing but sheer waste of time,” concludes Himanshu Kaushik.
So, yes go and bring out the DP and Katrina Kaif inside you, but that’s only possible if you don’t overdo the twister!