Have you ever come across this hair care trend that tells you why you must try certain acids for your long and lustrous hair? Well, the idea that there’s acid in your hair care products may sound a bit scary but in reality they’re a game changer! The acids which are well-known for their beauty benefits are salicylic acid, kojic acid hyaluronic acid. However, randomly picking the acids and using them incorrectly can have the opposite effect on your hair. All acids have their own benefits and not all acids are suitable for everyone. That’s why you need to be very careful while choosing the acids for hair. Have you ever heard the name of lactic acid? Well, lactic acid is an ingredient that is found in many hair care products.
What is lactic acid?
Lactic acid is a natural substance that is produced when glucose is broken down in the body. This acid plays an important role in many biochemical processes and has recently been gaining popularity as a hair treatment. Lactic acid is a natural alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that helps to exfoliate the scalp and renew the skin. It can also help to balance pH levels, remove product build-up, and add shine to your hair.
Dr Navnit Haror, Founder and Director of Derma Miracle Clinic, tells HealthShots about the benefits of lactic acid for hair and how to use it properly. Let’s get started!
What can lactic acid do for your hair?
Dr Haror says lactic acid is a type of alpha hydroxy acid (AHA) that is derived from milk. It has several benefits for hair, including the following:
- Lactic acid can help to break down the bonds that hold together dead skin cells, making it an effective exfoliant for the scalp.
- Lactic acid can help to reduce dandruff and promote hair growth.
- Lactic acid can also help to soften and detangle hair, making it more manageable.
- In addition, lactic acid can help to protect the hair shaft from damage, resulting in shinier, healthier-looking hair.
- Lactic acid can help to protect the hair from damage caused by heat styling and UV exposure.
- Lactic acid can also act as a conditioner, helping to improve the texture of the hair.
- Lactic acid can help to remove build-up from the scalp, which can improve hair growth and lustre.
- Lactic acid helps to stimulate circulation in the scalp.
- Lactic acid has humectant properties, which means it helps to draw moisture into the hair shaft and promotes healthy hydration levels that help to prevent dryness and frizziness.
- Lactic acid encourages hair growth by delivering essential nutrients and oxygen to the follicles.
Overall, lactic acid is a safe and effective way to improve the health of your hair. If you are looking for a product that can help to exfoliate your scalp, detangle your hair, and protect your hair shaft from damage, lactic acid may be a good option to consider.
How to use lactic acid for hair?
Lactic acid is a popular ingredient in many hair care products due to its ability to exfoliate the scalp and remove build-up. lactic acid can also help to increase hair elasticity, making it less likely to break. When used regularly, lactic acid can help to promote healthy hair growth. In addition, lactic acid can help to stimulate hair growth and prevent hair loss.
Dr Haror suggests the right way to use it:
- To use lactic acid for hair care, start by mixing equal parts lactic acid and water in a bowl.
- Apply the mixture to your scalp and massage it for 2-3 minutes.
- Rinse the mixture out with cold water and shampoo as usual.
- For best results, use lactic acid 2-3 times per week.
You may need to experiment with the amount of lactic acid you use to find what works best for your hair type. As a result, it will add shine and softness to your hair. After using lactic acid, you will be able to achieve healthy, lustrous hair.
Dr Haror says, “Lactic acid is a beneficial ingredient for hair care. It helps to condition the hair, add shine, and improve the overall health of the scalp. There are many ways to use lactic acid in your hair care routine, so experiment until you find what works best for you. With its conditioning properties, lactic acid can help keep your locks looking healthy and shiny all year long!”