Hair loss is quite a common problem that affects both young and old women. In fact, a 2007 study published by the National Library of Medicine revealed that less than 45 percent women go through life with a head full of hair. That got me worried! After all, curly, wavy or straight, we love our hair. So when I saw quite a lot of hair strands on the floor, I called my mom. She took out coconut oil and mixed it with black cumin seeds. Then she massaged my head with it. She says coconut oil and black cumin are natural remedies to combat hair loss, and it has worked for her for a long time!
To get an expert’s advice on this home remedy for hair growth, Health Shots reached out to Dr Kuna Ramdas, Senior Dermatologist, Kamineni Hospitals, Hyderabad.
He says in the pursuit of maintaining healthy hair, many women turn to natural remedies to address common hair concerns, including hair loss. Two natural ingredients that have gained popularity for their potential benefits in promoting hair health are coconut oil and black cumin. These versatile natural ingredients, when combined, create a potent solution that may combat hair loss and promote overall hair health.
Benefits of coconut oil for hair
Coconut oil as a skin and hair treatment has been used for long due to its many benefits.
• Its medium-chain fatty acids moisturise hair. This in turn, prevents dryness and frizz.
• Essential nutrients like vitamins E and K, and iron nourish hair follicles, promoting healthy hair growth, says Dr Ramdas.
• With natural antimicrobial properties, it fights scalp infections, creating a healthier environment.
• When used regularly, it prevents protein loss. This way it helps to safeguard hair from damage and breakage.
Benefits of black cumin for hair
Black cumin offers multiple hair benefits which is why many women swear by it.
• It stimulates hair growth with nutrients like iron, zinc, and vitamins A and E.
• Promotes scalp health through anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
• Adds shine and luster with essential oils.
• Fights hair thinning with active compounds, making it ideal for those seeking improved hair volume and health.
Select Topics of your interest and let us customize your feed.
Coconut oil and black cumin for hair growth
You can always go for an egg and coconut oil hair mask to combat hair loss. But the combination of coconut oil and black cumin is also a powerful one. While coconut oil nourishes hair follicles, black cumin promotes scalp health, reduces hair breakage, and improves blood circulation for stronger and healthier hair growth, says the expert.
Here’s how to use coconut oil and black cumin for hair –
• Heat 1/4 cup of organic coconut oil in a small pan until it turns completely liquid.
• Add 2 tablespoons of black cumin seeds and continue heating for 2 to 3 minutes to infuse the oil with cumin’s beneficial compounds.
• Let the mixture cool to room temperature, ensuring the black cumin seeds steep in the oil.
• Strain the oil to remove the seeds, creating infused coconut oil.
• Massage the oil onto your scalp and hair and leave it on for 30 minutes.
Wash your hair with mild shampoo and let it air dry.
Use this home remedy one or two times per week for best results. The combination of coconut oil and cumin is generally safe for hair treatment, but people with allergies should be careful. If you don’t know whether you are allergic to these ingredients, got for a patch test first.