Long and voluminous hair strands swaying with the wind look like nothing less than an introductory scene from a Bollywood movie. To put this straight, attractive hair changes our personality and gives us a polished look. Whereas unkempt hair and frizzy tresses are a massive pull down. To add volume to your mane and grow your hair into beautiful shiny ones, we got in touch with 3 hair experts. With the help of their expert tips, you may plan to reverse the hair damage and fix your hair texture.
Health Shots spoke to Dr. Ashini Bhatt, Hair expert, Kaya, CG Road, Ahmedabad, who listed five golden rules which you can follow to tame your tresses.
5 rules to get voluminous hair and reverse damage:
1. Strive for a healthy scalp
Dandruff, oily scalp, dry and itchy scalp could be one of the major reasons for unhealthy scalp which lowers the potential of healthy hair.
2. Right products
Choosing shampoos and products judiciously can create a lot of difference. For example, curly hair needs a lot of moisture while straight hair needs a very little moisture in order to optimize their appearance.
3. Styling it right
Heat-less styling is the trend these days but if you are styling your tresses with heat based devices make sure you use heat protection spray and try switching to less damaging methods.
4. Hot water
Avoid using hot water for washing your hair to retain the natural oils and moisture. It can also damage the cuticle of hair and make it frizzier.
5. Chemical treatments
Frequently perming, straightening, colouring can damage your hair and eventually make them brittle and dull.
Dr. Kaustav Guha Director, R&D Division, SkinKraft Labs rolled out some tips based on his deep insights about hair health:
“The hair fiber is made of three morphological layers: cuticle, cortex and medulla. While the medulla forms the innermost part of the hair shaft, the cortex forms the middle layer to which the mechanical properties of the hair are attributed. And, the cuticle is the outermost layer, which acts as a protective barrier for the cortex against environmental damage,” says Dr Guha.
Here are some ways to get voluminous hair and shinier hair:
- Any hair care regimen should aim to protect the integrity and strength of the cuticle and cortex layers of the hair fibre to attain the desirable cosmetic properties.
- Different modern-day styling processes and grooming devices have been found to be causing chipping of the cuticle layer, resulting in breakages and split ends.
- Also, chemicals used in straightening treatments, bleaches and dyes may cause allergic dermatitis, scarring alopecia, chemical burns. Undergoing these processes frequently may worsen the hair condition to a great extent.
- Shampooing repeatedly strips off the lipid matter from the hair surface, resulting in hair damage. It is recommended to shampoo your hair not more than twice or thrice a week while it needs to be followed by a conditioner.
- Oiling your hair regularly is found to have a protective effect on the hair as oils help in keeping the lipid bonds intact by penetrating into the cuticle and cortex layers of the hair.
Health Shots also got in touch with Vipin Sharma, hair expert, Product and Research manager at Fixderma India Pvt Ltd., who lists 5 of his favourite hair care tips to get voluminous hair.
Sharma says “Hair is the crown you never want to take off. And believe it or not, it’s also one of the most abused part of our body. It gets exposed every day to pollution, harsh sunlight, weather change, friction from sleeping incorrectly, aftereffects of improper diet, chemical treatments. But also if one follows the basic maintenance tips, it’s the easiest asset to manage.”
Decoding to you the 5 golden rules of hair you must always adhere to:
1. Take conditioning seriously
It depends upon the nature of your scalp and type of your hair, but every hair needs conditioning. It ensures vitality and luster of your hair. Choose pre-conditioning (hair mask, oiling) or post (conditioner, serums), but never skip it.
2. Always keep your scalp clean
It’s essential to keep the scalp and hair clean to control hair fall, scalp infection and maintain hair growth.
3. Maintain inner nourishment
Always maintain a balanced diet to maintain healthy hair. Protein sufficiency is very important for hair health. Take your supplements seriously.
4. Less is more
That’s true even in the case of hair care. Avoid excessive heat and chemical treatment to maintain them tresses
5. Masking is important
It applies not only for your face but also for your hair. Basis your concern and need for the hair, indulge in hair masks at least once in every fortnight.