Battling the belly bulge is not something you can achieve overnight. It takes hard work, determination, discipline and consistency. Fat accumulated on your stomach is a sign that you’re either not eating right, not exercising enough or have a sedentary lifestyle, all of which can be harmful for your long-term health. Now if you’ve been eyeing Bollywood celebrities for their relentless fitness regimes, you know that yoga is one of their go-to routines. From Kareena Kapoor Khan and Alia Bhatt to Malaika Arora and Rakul Preet Singh, they have a special place in their heart for yoga. So, how about we get some fitness tips on yoga poses to burn belly fat from celebrity trainer Anshuka Parwani?
In a recent Instagram post, the yoga expert gave an insight into her top 5 favourite yoga poses to burn stubborn belly fat.
“A sedentary lifestyle, unhealthy eating habits, lack of exercise, are some of the most common causes for belly pudge,” says Parwani.
While she urges people to indulge in a well-balanced diet, she asserts the importance of yoga in helping to reduce abdominal fat, and get a flat stomach overtime.
Here’s Anshuka Parwani’s Instagram post for you to check out!
5 yoga poses to burn belly fat
Naukasana, as the name suggests, is inspired by the shape of a boat. Also known as the boat pose, it puts pressure on the belly and works on developing the ab muscles. This is done by increasing blood and oxygen circulation around the abdominal region.
How to do Naukasana to reduce belly fat
* Lie down on your back. Put your feet together and rest your arms along your body
* Take a deep breath. Now as you exhale, slowly give your chest and feet a lift
* Engage your arms by stretching them out towards your feet in a way that you align your eyes, fingers and toes in a straight line. You may not get it right in the first attempt, but that’s okay! Yoga is a slow and steady fitness routine.
* You will feel the tension in your abdominal region
* Hold the pose while continuing to breathe deeply
* Once you’re done, exhale and return to your original position
* You could do 3-4 repititions of the Naukasana every day, but don’t go overboard.
2. Chaturanga Dandasana
This is one of those yoga poses to reduce belly fat, which you can’t miss because of its myriad benefits. Also called the Four-Limbed Staff Pose, it is technically a low plank exercise. It not just aids in helping you to lose weight, but can also be instrumental in toning the abdomen. This plank pose isn’t easy, but who said burning belly is a cakewalk?
How to do Chaturanga Dandasana
* Start by sitting in vajrasana
* Now using your hands, walk forward and take the position for the regular plank pose, with your hands supporting your body. Your hands should be under your shoulders
* Next, straighten out your legs. Keep thhem a few inches above the ground and ensure your toes point inwards
* When you exhale, bend your elbows till your shoulders are in alignment with your elbows
* Exhale before coming back to the plank pose
* Exhale again and get back to the vajrasana
* Repeat this yoga asana and see the difference in your belly fat over time
Vasisthasana or side plank pose is all about finding the right balance and developing strength. As you can see from the image, this asana involves shifting your whole body weight on one side, while balancing it on one leg and one foot. It is definitely as challenging as it seems, but has long-term benefits.
How to do Vasisthasana
* You have to start with the Downward-Facing Dog Pose or Adho Mukha Svanasana
* Now shift into plank pose.
* Roll onto one side, ensuring that you put your left leg and foot on top of your right.
* Place your left hand onto your left hip once you turn your torso to the left. Lend your body weight the support it needs using the outer right foot and right hand.
* You will now need to align your body into a diagonal line from your heels to head.
* Now sretch your left arm. It should point towards the ceiling, and be in line with your shoulders.
* Look up at the left hand
* Maintain this posture while breathing in and out
* Return to plank pose
* Repeat on the other side
4. Parsva Urdhva Hastasana
This yoga asana to reduce belly fat also works on toning up your love handles! Also known as side tree bend or standing half moon pose, Parsva Urdhva Hastasana is a standing position. It is usually done as a beginner pose and enhances balance.
How to do Parsva Urdhva Hastasana
* Start by taking the Tadasana (Mountain Pose) stance.
* Breathe in and out
* After a minute or two, inhale deeply, and slowly raise your arms above the head with your palms joined in the Namaskar mudra. Exhale.
* Now while inhaling and stretching the spine, bend your body towards the right. Don’t crunch your shoulders
* Exhale and remain still for some breaths
* Now inhale and come back to the centre with your palms still joined and arms raised above the head
* Now inhale and do a side bend towards the left, before following the same procedure as before.
The Pavanmuktasana is known to strength abdominal muscles and work its way in blasting the belly fat. A popular gas release pose, it brings relief to those with an acidity or flatulence problem too.
How to do Pawanmuktasana
* Begin by lying down flat on your back
* Ensure that your feet are placed together and arms are placed along your body
* Inhale deeply, and while you exhale, bring your knees towards your chest
* Now press your thighs on your abdomen, squeezing your stomach or abdominal region
* Here, you need to wrap your hands around your legs and bring your knee as close to your neck or chin
* Hold the asana
* Each time you exhale, tighten your hands’ grip, and when you inhale, loosen the grip.
* Release the pose slowly and steadily and repeat.